Thursday, December 15, 2005

Missing Mona

I don't really know how to put my feelings into words right now. My heart hurts and I feel like I am not even worthy of these feelings. We had to put our dog, Mona, to sleep today. It was something we had been putting off for a long time.

Mona came to live with us almost 6 years ago. I went to walmart with my mom one Saturday morning and there happened to be a little girl with a puppy in a box sitting in the parking lot on the way to my car. The puppy had a big pink bow tied around her neck and she looked beautiful. I had no intentions of doing anything but stopping to pet her and the little girls mom told me they were about to take her to the pound. I could not knowingly let that happen.

At this time we had just bought our house and just installed the doggy door for the poodles, so it was tiny, just like the new addition. We decided to name her Mona, I just liked the name and her eyes looked wiser than her years so the name fit. She was too young to have been taken away from her mother so we had to blend up puppy food for her, she did not even really have teeth yet. She was so small she fit into the palm of my hand. The vet told us she would grow into a large dog, I don't think we believed him. She did though. I think at her heaviest she was around 60 pounds.

Mona believed she was small, just like Junior and Trixie. It was quite comical to watch her jump into Mike's lap and want to cuddle. Mike taught her to give hugs, to hold a beer bottle, all the things man's best friend does. She was supposed to be my baby but turned out to be Mike's. She captured his heart as soon as he saw her. He had a special bond with her. She was amazing with the kids, they climbed on her, gave her kisses, and she loved it all.

It broke my heart even more to watch him sitting on the floor in the vet's office just holding her and crying. We both held her while they gave her the shot and neither one of us could barely drive home. She has not even been gone a day and already I miss her.

I was doing laundry last night and I came across her sweater. It hurt so much just to see it, now comes the question, do I keep it? Nothing of hers will ever bring her back and no words will ever describe what kind of dog she was, my writing does little to truly describe her and what she was to this family. I hope she knows how much she was loved and forgives me for having to make the decision I did.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mama Duck said...

OMG, I feel for you.

I put my rabbit, Lucky, to sleep earlier this year and stroked her ears as she slipped off to The Rainbow Bridge.

There's nothing harder than having to make that completely unselfish decision to end a pet's life with dignity.

My heart goes out to you.

Monday, December 19, 2005 5:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home