Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Chaos on the homefront

Things have been unbelievably crazy around our house the past few weeks. We now have a permanent "houseguest". My cousin, April, had no place to go so we took her in. It is not as simple as that though. Nothing in my life is ever simple. The poor girl is 18 and she has psychological and intellectual disabilities. Add to this a life of abuse by a psychotic mother and what you have is a child totally unprepared for life. No way possible can she live on her own and support herself. Legally anyway. Her father, my uncle, is an alcoholic. He is a very nice man who loves his children but not enough to give up the psychotic whore and alcohol.

April could no longer stand the abuse so once she turned 18 and graduated she left. One of her high school teacher's children took her in. Now this was not much better than what she left. Apparently the girl's husband was an abusive marine. So she calls my mom repeatedly upset and crying. Mom talks to me, the person who will take in any stray just because I can't stand to see anything hurt, and of course, I say she can come live with us. With rules of course.

Now we are not exactly well off, in fact you could say we are downright poor. Adding another person to our household has been a tremendous strain financially as well as emotionally. April's disabilities are so severe that she cannot work a normal job. So we head to the social security office to see about getting a disability check for her. Well, let me just say they think nothing of telling you it will be 6 months before you hear anything about their decision. In the meantime what the hell are we supposed to do? We can barely afford to support ourselves let alone another person who needs food and other things.

Everyone has a "not so good" side of their family and because of this we do not know April all that well. I wish I could tell her parents what I think of them. I had to take her to get a new bathing suit because I was not about to let her wear a string bikini to my son's pool party this weekend. She was never taught how a lady is supposed to act and present herself. I had to also help her shop for a decent bra, I have no idea how old the one she was wearing was, but it was worn out. There are so many things she needs and so much to teach her about being a lady. I had to tell her no more black eyeliner during the day.

I just take for granted that people teach their daughters how to dress and conduct themselves in a proper manner. Any parent that does not do this ought to have their ass kicked. A child is something special. No matter how much I complain about my kids I can take comfort knowing they are respectful and worthy of others respect. Even as a toddler, my babykins knows more about manners but I guess the parent's efforts are revealed in the child. Wish me a little luck, patience, and money as I am sure going to need it!

3 Comments:

Blogger Mama Duck said...

Wow, that's really sad (her life up until now). I think that it shows amazing heart and kindness to open up your home and basically change your lives to work with April.

Friday, August 26, 2005 12:21:00 PM  
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

What an endeavor you have taken on. I wish you the best of luck with everything. I have a real soft heart too and always want to take in the strays. As a teacher there were many many kids I had that came from battered, neglected, and abusive homes... I wanted to adopt them all!

Sunday, August 28, 2005 7:41:00 PM  
Blogger Kimmee & Krissteen said...

My heart goes out to your and your family Lori. I would like to make a couple suggestions for help for your cousin. First and foremost, take her down to social services and try to get her on some kind of aide. Planned parenthood, which in my opinion should be called UNplanned parenthood, should be able to give you some help as to where else to go. Call your local WIC (Women Infants & Children) program and that will help with food while she is pregnant and once she has the baby it will help with formula, etc.

There are agencies out there that will help her, she, with your help, will need to put forth the efforts to get the help.

Good Luck to you and her.

Friday, September 02, 2005 6:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home