Monday, February 21, 2005

The Cool Mom...

... That's what I aspire to be. The last few years have definitely been life changing for me. Way back in the day, I was, dare I say it? Cool. I was pretty, thin and stylish. Didn't have the job of my dreams, but it made me feel good about myself. In construction, being female was not an advantage, I had to earn the respect of well, just about everyone. Now, I know I have the respect and adoration of my kids, that will forever be better and definitely more important to me. But getting back on topic here, I am going to visit my sister in Ashville, NC, this weekend. I feel so uncool, out of touch, and certainly not stylish. The reason I bring this up, is that my sister is the cool one now. A vegetarian massage therapist in an exclusive salon. Not, that this is what I want, but I want the image. She looks trendy and pretty. Being almost 6 feet tall and blonde has something to do with this I imagine. Those are 2 things I will never be. I have lost the baby weight, but 2 kids in 2 years wrecks your body. I think I could do a gazillion leg lifts and crunches and still never have a flat tummy again. Only a gifted plastic surgeon could accomplish that feat. My babies are worth it though. My sis tells me I look and dress like a mom now. I asked her what that was supposed to mean.... "You just look like a mom". I used to wear makeup and have my hair cut and highlighted every other month. Time and money have cut those out. Used to wear heels every day. Now its the comfy borns. Okay, put it this way, Mike saw a pic of me a couple years before we met and asked me if that was one of my sisters friends. What a slap in the face. I know I am going to get up there with Jen and her friends and feel like such a tard. My conservative mommy clothes and shoes are going to stand out amongst the sea of designer clothes and funky jewelry. I keep telling myself that my kids would be embarrassed if I attempted to be cool. As I sit on the floor with Ansley and Joey, pigtails in my hair, jeans and the typical formula stained shoulders on my t-shirt, I know it is right. Ansley tells me so. They love me just the way I am. Now I need to learn from them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home