Saturday, July 08, 2006

Follow your nose...

Yesterday was a traumatic day in my household. One minute I am on the phone gazing into the fridge trying desperately to find something for lunch, the next my son is screaming bloody murder grabbing his face. Of course this scares me half to death, I grab him and run to the couch to hold him and try to find out what is going on, it looked like he had blood coming from one side of his nose. I am holding him and calling my mom in a panic and I finally got him calm enough to wipe his face and nose and lo and behold it is not blood. It is a pinky reddish orange color. I am thinking what the hell has he got up his nose?

I look around on the floor and notice a pill. A pinky reddish orange one. One of the two ibuprofen I had given mike after dinner. It suddenly becomes obvious where the other one is. Apparently mike left them on the TV tray and did not take them. DUMBASS.

So my mom calls poison control and I call my sister in law, the RN. Joey is screaming again by this time. A dissolving ibuprofen pill in your nose apparently hurts. Deb brought over the little grabber things but the pill was too far up for us to grab, so we play the waiting game. I swabbed the inside of his nose with lidocaine and then a few saline drops to try to hurry and dissolve the damn thing and it starts coming out in foamy chunks. I felt awful, my poor baby was hurting and there was nothing I could do about it except call mike at work and yell at him for leaving the freaking pills out in the first place. About 5 calls to doctors later he is fine and they said that 200mg of ibuprofen is not toxic for his size. So, Joey learned a little lesson, do not stick shit up your nose! I asked him if he was ever going to put anything up his nose again and he shook his head violently and said "unh uh!". And how was your day????

2 Comments:

Blogger Undercover Angel said...

When my daughter was somewhere between 18 months and 2 the same thing happened with a cinnamon heart candy. She shoved it up her nose and apparently they burn while they disolve. She was howling just as your son was. I couldn't reach it to get a hold of it, but I was able to work it down by pinching the one side of her nose. To this day she hates cinnamon heart candies...

I'm glad your son seems to be doing well and that the ibuprophen didn't seem to harm him.

Sunday, July 09, 2006 9:59:00 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Poor Joey. It hurts me just to read it. OWIE!

Monday, July 10, 2006 7:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home